Miriam has extensive governance experience. Capable and dedicated to her board work, she is never afraid to express her point of view, but, equally, is an active listener at board discussions.
Present directorships are:
- Chair, Banking Ombudsman Scheme (an approved body to resolve complaints between banks and customers)
- Chair, New Zealand On Air (New Zealand’s funding agency for production of local screen and sound content)
- Director, Crown Infrastructure Partners (the company established by the Government to manage its $1.5 billion investment in ultra-fast broadband infrastructure and repurposed to assist with the deployment of water and roading infrastructure to support a timely increase in housing supply)
- Director, Otakaro Limited (responsible for delivering the Government’s key anchor projects in Christchurch)
- Director, REINZ – Real Estate Institute of New Zealand (a membership organisation representing more than 14,000 real estate professionals nationwide)
Former directorships include:
- Deputy chair, Auckland Council Investments Limited (a company to manage the council’s shares in Auckland’s port and airport and the Waitakere film studio)
- Director and trustee, Royal New Zealand Ballet (the country’s premier ballet company, formed in 1953)
- Member, Auckland Transition Authority (the body responsible for amalgamating Auckland’s seven councils into a single territorial authority in 2009-10)
- Member, Interim Electricity Market Authority (2010) (the transition agency responsible for implementing the 2009 electricity reforms)
- Member, International Accreditation New Zealand Council (which provides accreditation services to businesses) (2004-11)
- Member, Civil Aviation Authority (New Zealand’s civil aviation regulator) (1997-99)
- Deputy chair, Commerce Commission (New Zealand’s competition and consumer watchdog) (2003)
Miriam has also served on many other governing or advisory boards or committees, including those of LEADR New Zealand (Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution), the New Zealand Law Society, Auckland District Law Society, the Legal Research Foundation and the Competition Law and Policy Institute.
She is currently chair of the Ministry of Justice’s Legal Aid Advisory Board. In 2014, she chaired the Ministry’s Leading Justice Symposium, hosted by the then Minister of Justice, the Honourable Judith Collins.